Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Dissolving in Foam

“You can plan all you want to. You can lie in your morning bed and fill whole notebooks with schemes and intentions. But within a single afternoon, within hours or minutes, everything you plan and everything you have fought to make yourself can be undone as a slug is undone when salt is poured on him. And right up to the moment when you find yourself dissolving in foam you can still believe you are doing fine.”
- Wallace Stegner, “Crossing For Safety.
I read this quote on Jon Katz's (is that the way you would write that?) blog the other day.  I know it sounds kind of negative, but it really was powerful to me.  It's like my favorite verse from Proverbs-  
<<In their hearts humans plan their course,
    but the Lord establishes their steps.>> 
Very true!  I make my plans, but God decides how it goes.  I am okay with that.  I am working my boo-tay off to get ready for this triathlon.  And, it will be, what it will be.  I can only control my end (rear) of the deal.  The rest is up to God.  With that said, I swam a 450, kicked a 100, then walked a 18 minute mile.  I wasn't dead afterwards, so that's a good thing!

No comments: