Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I Am Going To Do It!

I am going to compete in a triathlon. In 8 weeks. Kinda scary to actually post this- makes it real to me.

Ever since my heart attack in November, I have wanted to get busy on my Bucket List. Participating in a Triathlon happened to be on the list, and since exercise was needed in my recovery, it seemed like a good place to start. So, I have been working out since March. First on my list? Learn to swim. Because you have to swim in a triathlon, I thought it best to start with learning to swim. Sarah is a great swim teacher! You would think with 4 girls on a swim team, their momma would know how to swim. Not so much. In fact, I have had such a deep fear of the water, I made sure the girls could swim at an early age, so I wouldn't have to go in after them. I know, lame. But there you go. Soooooo- in April, I learned to swim. I cried. A lot. I felt sorry for Sarah, but told her if possible, to ignore my tears. I was soooooooo afraid, and it seemed soooooo hard. I was WAY out of shape! So I had the fear of swimming/drowning, and then the knowledge of how far out of shape I was going through my head as I flopped from one side of the pool to the other. But you know, it got easier. It got easier faster than I expected. Now, I can swim 600 yards. Not all in one shot, don't let me fool you, I do it in groups of 75 yds, but I am getting there!

Next on the agenda?  Learn to run.  Yikes, there are a lot of things to learn to do!  Last month I started learning to run again, and taking it REAL slow!  My work out for two weeks:  warm up:  walk 10 minutes.  Main set: jog for 30 sec, walk for 3 minutes.  Repeat 5 times.  The next week:  warm up: walk for 10 minutes.  Main set:  Jog for 30 sec. walk for 2 minutes, repeat 5X.  You get the idea.  Today my work out:  walk 10 mins.  Main set:  Jog for 45 sec, walk 1:30 sec, repeat 5 sec.  I rode my bike to the track (1.5 miles), did my work out and then rode home.  Total work out:  rode 3 miles, walked/jogged for 35 mins.  Not too bad.  I am in no pain, and that's a good thing!  Woot!

No comments: